Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Climbin In Yo Windows


Unfortunately this is the last Awesome Abroad post in the life of Jack Smart - at least until I go back to Europe! The end of my semester at BADA was a hectic, hurried and stressful time, but I also made some of my greatest memories. After my amazing week with Dad, my travels were not over. I had three days in Barcelona and three days in Paris, the culmination of a series of incredible weekend trips. During my last week I wrote three papers and a play, saw some of the best theatre ever, and said goodbye to all my friends and professors. I then had a couple days of crazy traveling - including a brief trip to freezing Chicago - before arriving in Hawai'i for my winter break. It's green and gorgeous here. I know I've said it before, but I can't figure out how 2011 could top 2010 in terms of sheer epic awesomeness. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!


I had one authentic London club experience with my friends at BADA.


The music was loud, the night was long, and my friends were so much fun.


Barcelona! As seen from Park Guell. One of my favorite weekend trips.


Gaudi's "La Pedrera", a weird blend of art and architecture.


The mind-blowing "La Sagrada Familia", which will be under construction for years to come.


The Barcelona aquarium!


A picture of a picture of me in a shark's mouth.


One last Gaudi masterpiece before leaving Barcelona. Truly a genius!


BADA threw us a lavish Thanksgiving dinner. Drinking wine with my professors was quite the highlight to the semester.


As Shakespeare Programme geeks, our idea of partying is dressing up as our favorite Shakespeare characters. This is Falstaff and Prince Hal from "Henry IV".


Paris, France!


I saw lots of great art in Paris, including Monet's famed water lilies in the Musee de l'Orangerie.


Joe and I in Paris, eating superb French onion soup.


This is the crowd waiting around the Mona Lisa. I spent most of a whole day in the Louvre with my friend Akari, and of course, didn't see everything.


My new favorite painting! The Murder of Agamemnon by Pierre-Narcisse Guerin.


Joe's visit to London during my last weekend there allowed me to do the Londony things I hadn't gotten around to doing yet, like the Tate Modern museum and Westminster Abbey.


I finally got to cross the iconic Tower Bridge!


The wonderful habitants of Flat 25 celebrating the end of the program. :)


Much fun was had... with mustaches!


My visit to Chicago to see Nate was ridiculously short - my flight was canceled, so I Amtrak-ed all the way there - but worth it after three and a half months of being apart. He'll be visiting Hawai'i for New Years!!


Chicago is pretty awesome, even during the coldest time of the year.


The "Silver Bean"!


The Smart family post-tree-decoration. Merry Christmas!

No comments: