As for November 4, both the longest and most historical day of my life, it started with monotony and ended with a bang. I awoke at 3:45am with two hours of sleep under my belt and was driven to a polling station in Wappingers to endure 16 hours of checking registered voters off lists and pushing the "Entrance Button" on the voting machine. To see me in the Poughkeepsie Journal, go to and search for my name (it's a long article). What kept me going was the thought of the amazing phenomenon that is the US election process, occurring all over the country. In the late afternoon there were whispers of states declared red or blue. On the car ride back to school, we heard something on the radio about Ohio. When I arrived at Vassar's election watch party, Barack Obama's electoral count far exceeded John McCain's. I sat with hundreds of people, awaiting the moment I was still hesitant to believe would actually happen. When MSNBC's clock counted down to zero, and the results from California, Oregon, Washington, and Hawai'i were revealed, the room exploded. People screamed and hugged and cheered "Yes we can" and exclaimed things like, "This is history! We were a part of history!" It was awe-inspiring. While listening to Barack's incredible victory speech, I thought about how awesome it was to be a part of this election, to have voted for the first time, and to have been a part of the campaign. I look forward to this next presidency, to finally feeling proud of my country's leaders. Barack and roll!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Mele Kalikimaka, I Have A Dream
Two events happened recently that are too important to wait a month for a blog entry. So welcome to Brewer's Digest, the Halloween and Election edition! Mind you, Halloween was not quite as consequential - or exciting - as the election but it is an opportunity to show off some funny pictures.
Our costumes were easy and original, but people didn't really get it whenever we were separated.

As for November 4, both the longest and most historical day of my life, it started with monotony and ended with a bang. I awoke at 3:45am with two hours of sleep under my belt and was driven to a polling station in Wappingers to endure 16 hours of checking registered voters off lists and pushing the "Entrance Button" on the voting machine. To see me in the Poughkeepsie Journal, go to and search for my name (it's a long article). What kept me going was the thought of the amazing phenomenon that is the US election process, occurring all over the country. In the late afternoon there were whispers of states declared red or blue. On the car ride back to school, we heard something on the radio about Ohio. When I arrived at Vassar's election watch party, Barack Obama's electoral count far exceeded John McCain's. I sat with hundreds of people, awaiting the moment I was still hesitant to believe would actually happen. When MSNBC's clock counted down to zero, and the results from California, Oregon, Washington, and Hawai'i were revealed, the room exploded. People screamed and hugged and cheered "Yes we can" and exclaimed things like, "This is history! We were a part of history!" It was awe-inspiring. While listening to Barack's incredible victory speech, I thought about how awesome it was to be a part of this election, to have voted for the first time, and to have been a part of the campaign. I look forward to this next presidency, to finally feeling proud of my country's leaders. Barack and roll!
Wappingers Falls Jr. High School's gymnasium, where a wide range of voters came and made their voices heard.
I voted absentee on Monday because I would be working at the poles all day Tuesday. It was so exciting!
Our door, parts 1, 2, and 3.

As for November 4, both the longest and most historical day of my life, it started with monotony and ended with a bang. I awoke at 3:45am with two hours of sleep under my belt and was driven to a polling station in Wappingers to endure 16 hours of checking registered voters off lists and pushing the "Entrance Button" on the voting machine. To see me in the Poughkeepsie Journal, go to and search for my name (it's a long article). What kept me going was the thought of the amazing phenomenon that is the US election process, occurring all over the country. In the late afternoon there were whispers of states declared red or blue. On the car ride back to school, we heard something on the radio about Ohio. When I arrived at Vassar's election watch party, Barack Obama's electoral count far exceeded John McCain's. I sat with hundreds of people, awaiting the moment I was still hesitant to believe would actually happen. When MSNBC's clock counted down to zero, and the results from California, Oregon, Washington, and Hawai'i were revealed, the room exploded. People screamed and hugged and cheered "Yes we can" and exclaimed things like, "This is history! We were a part of history!" It was awe-inspiring. While listening to Barack's incredible victory speech, I thought about how awesome it was to be a part of this election, to have voted for the first time, and to have been a part of the campaign. I look forward to this next presidency, to finally feeling proud of my country's leaders. Barack and roll!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a kid! I love it!
Dad
Where do I find the Mele Kalikimaka, I Have A Dream quote? Did you say it was the Colbert/John Stewart combo show? What a day. Love you!
Checking registered voters and participating in the election process is admirable and a great learning experience. I'm very happy with the outcome and have high hopes for our government!
Great costumes for Halloween and I see why sticking together worked.
Love Gramma Jackie & Grampa Jim
Post a Comment