My summer of taking on the real world and living it up in New York City is flying by! The more I walk these streets and explore these amazing places, the less intimidating Manhattan is. Right now I am living in a Harlem apartment, interning at a midtown talent agency, and teaching swimming to little kids twice a week. I've also been catching up with friends, and have spent two weekends out of the city with my boyfriend Nate. I'm not sure exactly what August has in store because each day is unlike the next, but my internship at Rogue Entertainment Group is a steady commitment. The tiny talent agency is kind of falling apart because the parent company's CEO has been convicted of fraud and no one can accept paychecks... but as the unpaid intern I'm sticking around and learning a lot! I'm also trying to start a mentorship program with a radio network, and my coordinator there is a Vassar alum who has given me some paid work opportunities. My other paid job has me as a swim instructor at a pool in Queens and a pool across the street from the UN; it's really fun. There is exactly one month left until I leave for my semester in London!
Zoƫ and I getting ready to go to Gay Pride 2010!
My first Pride parade was a fun and new (and hot and sweaty) experience.
Nate and I celebrating the 4th of July in Tarrytown, a small town between New York and Poughkeepsie.
The Hudson River!
My room on 135th street! I'll be here for about a month and a half, so I've put up decorations and I rather like it.
Broadway in Bryant park! I have managed to see SO many Broadway and off-Broadway shows this summer. So far my list includes The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity, South Pacific, West Side Story, St. Nicholas, Next to Normal, Fela!, With Glee, Trust, and Avenue Q. My favorite was probably Next to Normal, which I would recommend to anyone.
Vassar friends Naomi, Annie and I on 5th Ave.
I have seen a couple of celebrities in New York, including Denzel Washington, Zach Braff, Larry David, Jason Jones, Samantha Bee and Nick Mitchell.
The pool I work in at the Millennium Hotel. You can't really see the spectacular view, but it spans all of Queens, the East River, and half of downtown Manhattan!
Out on the town with Nate and Nicole, who were in charge of the National Student Leadership Conference's Theater program this summer.
Last weekend Nate took me to Rhode Island. This is one of the elaborate Newport seaside mansions!
Me at the beautiful Breakers Mansion.
We also went to a beach in Newport. It was crowded and the water was cold, but it was a beach!
I was very happy to be in an ocean. To tell the truth I am pretty happy in general. :)
1 comment:
being pretty happy in general is a ggo thing.
Post a Comment