Monday, August 29, 2011

I'd Be Delighted


My summer as a Treetops counselor resembled my summer as a fourteen-year-old Treetops camper very little. I returned after seven years to a beautiful camp nestled in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid, where I was able to hike, canoe, garden, take care of pigs, make crafts, and make friends. But taking care of kids rather than being a kid gave the camp experience a very different perspective. I was put in charge of four campers, my tent group who called themselves the "Jack Pack". I taught two swim classes a day, the "Jacktopi" and the "Jaddiefish", in our incredible lake. I went on a dizzying number of trips, both up mountains and through rivers and bogs. And I worked with some of the coolest, smartest, most inspirational people I was lucky to have as colleagues. Mom was an amazing waterfront director, and it was nice having Dad visit for a couple weeks and help out with the senior camp play. And I got to Sierra almost everyday at Juice & Crackers! In a tight, isolated community like Treetops, the most important philosophy involves putting community over self. I learned more than anything the value of the "I'd be delighted!" attitude. I also learned that being a camp counselor is something I love - I've never pushed myself as hard as I did this summer, or held myself to a higher standard. The pictures aren't many because we aren't allowed to have technology around the kids, but below is a glimpse of my awesome summer!


Back in Hawai'i, Jay graduated high school!!


Camp Treetops! As seen from Round Lake, my favorite body of water in the world. Check out the website for a better idea of the community.
http://www.nct.org/page.cfm?p=839


Copperas Pond, where I spent both my staff overnight trip and tent group overnight trip. Though the daily camp routine provides lots of cool opportunities for activities, the trips are often the most memorable parts.


Sierra the Cutie square dancing with other junior campers.


Every week at staff meetings we were encouraged to share a "Sweet Thing", or moment from the week that made you smile. Many of mine came from my work at the waterfront.


Cheering on the Lake Placid Iron Men and Women, drums and all.


The Chicken Harvest! Every Monday we have Community Morning, and one day we cleaved, boiled, plucked, eviscerated, and washed sixty chickens from our very own farm. It was a rough and educational experience for our fourteen- and thirteen-year-olds.


Little Tys climbing a rock on Ampersand Mountain.


Setting off on our 5 day canoeing adventure! The Supers, the oldest campers, get to participate in the longest trips near the end of the summer, and my friend Willa and I led these six awesome campers. It reminded me of my own 5 day so long ago.


Willa and I mini-portaging over a beaver dam!


Carrying canoes on railroad tracks! This was the second of our three BRUTAL portages on day 2. We earned the beachy campsite we stayed at for the latter half of the trip.


Maddie and me at a square dance. Like I said, I love my colleagues.


Team Wackanoe kicking butt. Soon after the 5 day, Willa and I took nine kids on the Canoe Idiot Trip, the epic day of canoeing 32 whole miles, sometimes through torrential rains.


The Idiot crew in a lock! It was the most fun 32 miles ever.


The Super boys (probably not allowed on their roof)!


On the last day of camp I said goodbye to all my campers and my adorable little sister.


One last goodbye to the Adirondacks.


Neal, Will, Hurricane Irene and I. My housemates and I are in the process of moving into our very own senior house, TH96. It is so exciting to be on the cusp of this last year of school!!

No comments: