Anyway, my biggest news over the past few weeks has been swimming. We are officially done with our season! It culminated in the UNYSCA State Championships in Syracuse, where the Vassar men did very well: http://athletics.vassar.edu/?action=fullnews&id=2348
Despite my large amounts of homework, much of which I had to catch up on last week, I have found time for my friends both on and off the team. But now it's time for a break from all that! My goals in Italy are 1) get my photo taken with the Pope, 2) resort to speaking Spanish with excessive hand gestures when I want to communicate, and 3) weep at some piece of art or architecture that is unbearably beautiful.
My roommate Neal and I on an outing to the Eveready Diner. I'll explain the blond hair in a minute.
Dad and I spent his last day here cruising along the Hudson River. The view was stunning from the Vanderbilt Mansion, where we took a tour. It was cool he got to see the Spring Invite, since many of my teammates have parents at the swim meets all the time.
So there is a Vassar men swim team tradition of shaving our heads for States. In the week before, however, the team gets together and gives each other insane haircuts since it will all be gone soon. John, our dear captain, went for baldING before bald. I said he looked like Bozo the Clown.
I decided to bleach my hair. It was solely my decision. Sort of.
Ian (mohawk) cutting Lars' hair (mullet). It was an insane night in the Cushing bathroom.
Pretty picture of my pretty campus.
Sunset Lake! It got warm for a while, then we had a snowfall last week, and now Spring can't make up its mind.
In the middle of the school week we left for Syracuse, where States was being held. That night in the hotel bathroom we proceeded to shave every hair on our bodies. Me before...
...and AFTER!
The 2009 Upper New York Bald Guys' Convention. Our team was not the only one to go 100% bald.

The Vassar Men (and random lifeguard) at the pool in Syracuse! Here's an excerpt from the athletics website:
Although the times that counted towards the team scoring in the evening trials were not quite as fast, the Brewers still put forth a strong effort in a fast meet, particularly in the 200 Yard IM. Alaimo finished in eighth place with a 1:59.32. After registering a lifetime best in the morning trials with a 2:03.25, freshman Smart proved he will be a force in years to come, dropping his time to 2:00.30 in the evening race.
“Jack’s swim today was phenomenal,” said [coach] Prater-Lee. “To shave that much time off his personal best in one day is really impressive.”
The Vassar men broke a total of seven school records last weekend! As I was on two of the record-breaking relays, I got to help change the record board at our pool. Sitting on the bench is our coach, Lisl, who informed us a few days ago that she is taking a leave of absence next year. The assistant coach, Paul, will be head coach for a year.
The record for the 200 medley relay was broken by more than two seconds! Also, our 200 free relay smashed a record set in 1996. Needless to say, the Vassar men were very pleased with the results. Everyone had personal bests in everything, many of us got to come back and swim in the finals on all three days, and we all had the time of our lives. Amazing how shaving one's entire body can do that.
...And there was much rejoicing.
1 comment:
The BALD CONVENTION-- hilarious! It totally looks like it! I'm so happy that you'll be using your ITALIAN (with Spanish as a fall back.) I think you'll cry over the FOOD! Go to Il Latini in Florence! See "David" and Boticelli in Florence. Hike to the top of every dome or bell tower! Drink chianti and a gelati every day is required!
Post a Comment